Sunday, December 20, 2009

Estoy LLENA!

After being a little partied-out in Playa del Carmen, I decided to be slothful in Merida. And after climbing up that damn ruin yesterday, I thought I´d just wander around town, eating as much as I wanted for 24 hours and write about it. Aren´t you shocked that I would do such a thing?

OK, I´m not just cramming it all in, I´m learning many things here. I´ve been a big fan of Rick Bayless for years and my dream is to feel like I am filming an episode of "one plate at a time". First of all, I can´t find a chile relleno to save my life. But we are in the Yucatan, and we have PIBIL!!




This is either pork or chicken, cooked in a banana leaf underground with spices. I´m not sure if they really dig a hole in the ground, or if that is an exaggeration. Either way - the pollo pibil I had after the ruin yesterday and my pork pibil for dinner (pictured above and below) - was delicioso! They give you tortillas, to make little tacos, see? And purple pickled onions to sprinkle on top.

Yes, I finished that big pile. And I loved every minute of it. With 2 beers, this came to less than $15 with tip. They aren´t crazy about cheese here. But that´s OK. the food is so tasty that I don´t miss it. No queso tamales to be found.
____________________
The next morning, I ate a tamale, which I forgot to take a picture of. There is some sort of celebration going on, and everyone is selling food in the streets and people really eat spicy meats for breakfast. I thought maybe only a few people did - but nope, after walking around to the market and back, I noticed everyone did. As a person who has been known to have leftover thai food or pizza for breakfast, I had a chicken tamale. And then I had ANOTHER ONE. And what´s that I see? Churros?! well, don´t mind if I do!!!


This was all before 10AM. This is a typical food stand. Believe it or not, I did not have room for the barbacoa...


but don´t think I didn´t consider it....
Here´s a guy roasting some onions to put on those pieces of meat:




They have conchia pibil, the regional specialty and last night´s dinner!



I went thought the entire market, and watched people buy their groceries. As in most countries, people here want to see their meat up close and talk to the butcher first. Nothing is frozen, it´s all just hanging up by hooks.





You would think all that raw meat might kill my appetite. Well, think again. It´s time for CORN ICE CREAM and a MERANGE! woo woo!





The end.
When I get home, I am going on a huge diet.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

So was it corn ice cream today, corn ice cream tomorrow?

Heather said...

Sara - ...and the blog continues. Glad to see a new post. Looks like you are having a fabulous time in Mexico. Love, love, love all the food pictures. If you could just encourage the Mexicans to export their culinary skills down to Peru, I am sure future generations of US travelers would appreciate it.

Feliz Navidad. Que tenga un buen viaje a Chicago. Escribe mas si puedes! Me encanta tus aventuras. Hasta luego. - Heather

sara said...

Welcome home, Heather! I'll have to meet you one of these days.